Respiratory Infection In Children Dubai | Do Your Child’s Symptoms Warrant A Doctor’s Visit?
Respiratory infection in children Dubai: Common viral infections, RSV, Influenza, RhinoVirus, Adenovirus, period or infectiousness
Respiratory infection in children Dubai: Common Viral Infections in children causing respiratory infections
Respiratory infection in children Dubai: Viral respiratory infections are common in children. Most of these infections are caused by respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), influenza virus A or B (FluV), parainfluenza virus (PIV), rhinovirus (RV), or adenovirus (AdV). Several recently discovered viruses, such as human metapneumovirus (HMPV), human bocavirus (HBoV), and the human coronaviruses (HCoVs) are also problems.
Viral infections do not need antibiotics and usually subside on their own except for Influenza.
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus is the most important cause of respiratory infection in young children worldwide
- Immunity is feeble and fleeting, and repeated infections are the rule
- One in every 100 or 200 infected infants requires hospitalization, usually for bronchiolitis.
- Community-acquired RSV occurs mostly in winter
- It is highly contagious and an infected child may drop the virus for days
- The consequences of RSV infection can be especially dire for babies less than 6 months, children with underlying conditions such as prematurity, cardiac and pulmonary disease, or immunosuppression
- Washing hands frequently, wearing masks and keeping sick children away from nurseries and daycare is essential
- Influenza is one of the most significant causes of acute upper respiratory tract infections worldwide
- The common ones are Influenza A and B and sporadically Influenza C. Swine Flu (H1N1) and Avian Flu (H5N1) are also subtypes and are more dangerous
- Influenza viruses are highly contagious and can cause seasonal epidemics and pandemics
- Symptoms include high fever with chills, cold, cough, body ache, conjunctivitis and sometimes pneumonia
- It can range from mild fatigue to respiratory failure and death
- Influenza viruses mutate every year and thus immunity acquired is temporary
- Tamiflu given early in the disease helps to reduce severity of symptoms
- Rhinoviruses (RVs) chiefly cause upper respiratory tract infections, but may also infect the lower respiratory tract
- RVs are the most common cause of the common cold
- Although RV infections occur year-round, the incidence is highest in the fall and the spring
- Symptoms are usually mild and differ in different ages
- Infants and preschoolers – Fever possible of 38-39°C
- Infants and toddlers – May have only nasal discharge
- School-aged children – Nasal congestion, cough, and runny nose
- Zinc spray or lozenges can shorten the infection
- It is a DNA virus and is very hardy and resistant to many disinfectants
- It is highly contagious
- Can be found on surfaces, objects, and water of swimming pools
- It is a common cause of viral infections in children
- There are several strains that can affect different systems like
- The respiratory system causing cough, cold, croup, bronchitis, pneumonia
- The GI system causing diarrhea
- The eyes causing ‘pink eye’ or conjunctivitis
- Bladder infections or cystitis
- Rarely neurological disease
- The incubation period is 2 to 5 days but the infected child can be contagious for weeks
Seasonal variations in the frequency of selected upper respiratory tract infection pathogens.
PIV = parainfluenza virus; RSV = respiratory syncytial virus; MPV = metapneumovirus; Group A Strept = group A streptococcus.
Respiratory infection in children Dubai: Incubation period and Contagiousness or Infectiousness
The period between exposure to an infection and the appearance of the first symptoms.
The number of days a patient will transmit the virus to others.
|RSV||2 to 8 days||8 days|
|Influenza||1 to 4 days||Onset of fever till fever gone|
|Adenovirus||2 to 14 days||Few days to months|
|Rhinovirus||8 to 10 hours||2 days to few weeks|
Respiratory infection in children Dubai: To receive information to help your child fill in your name and email ID in the form on the right
If you like what you have seen or read about respiratory infection in children dubai, please share it with your friends by clicking on one of the social media buttons below.
Go from respiratory infection in children dubai to Pediatrician Dubai homepage
Book An Appointment
Top 12 Questions Asked1. Fill in the form below, and receive answers to the top 12 questions generally asked by patients.
2.Once you have filled out the form, you will receive the answers for Singhania Clinic.
3. You will be contacted immediately.
What Our Patients Are Saying
“...We took the ASD theraphy and in less than one year we saw great improvements with my son. We're thankful to Dr. Singhania as we are exposed to the needs of my son and she helped us helped him...” - Irene Bolus
“...Dr. Singhania has been there supporting my son and my family. She always brings the latest therapies based on the accurate diagonsis she made. We really appreciate her work and efforts...” - Ahmed Elghadban